Well, I planted a garden this year all by myself. No my father did not help me!!! He was actually pleasantly shocked to see it! I was afraid he'd go into cardiac arrest, but phew, he didn't.
So, I really wanted to be like Caroline and have a garden and have fresh veggies all summer. I was really impressed by her garden last year and a tad jealous that she could walk out her door and WALA! Squash, zucchini, cukes...
Well, you know I get side tracked easily and heavy labor is really not my thing but I decided to sweat and give it a go a few Saturday's ago. Jason bought us a starter kit, like Caroline, and we started my peppers and some flowers indoors. The other stuff, cukes, carrots and lettuce I needed to wait to do outside. Well, so far only my flowers have sprouted. No peppers. Hmmmm....
Anywho, I decided to plant the "stuff" two weekends ago. Gram and Walter had a HUGE garden. I have been able to keep up with the raspberries and the rhubarb (YUCK). Last year I found asparagus (YUMMY) but it was already passed. This year I caught it and it has been delicious! Caroline pointed out scallions and Ben goes and picks them for my salads. Last night he picked it perfectly and the onion bulb was still attached!
Off track again, so I made a rectangle inside the huge garden. There was no way I was going to start big! Plus Jason was still layed up and couldn't help. I have no clue how to use that roto machine so it was up to me, my rake, my shovel and pitch fork. Yes, pitch fork. I broke up the hard dirt with it.
It's not the best looking garden but I think it will work.
I know my Dad is proud of me because he brought me over 2 tomato plants and planted them in my garden! Yeah! If he wasn't he wouldn't have shared. THANK YOU DADDY!!!
Well, the rhubarb plant is ENORMOUS!!! Oh my, I can't keep up. I keep sending it in with Katie to one of Gram's friends who teaches at Katie's school and my parents have taken some. My Dad said I should have a roadside stand and give the lady down the street some competition. Hmmmm, that's a thought. Just let me know if you want any.
If anyone has any ideas on how to prune raspberry bushes or grape vines, please share. I need to google that.
Ok, ready for the big reveal....

My Garden.

Growing something...

Cukes growing! I made that mound! My Dad was very impressed.

The flower garden my Dad made me last year, that I promise to keep up this year. He made it for me and there is NO POISON IVY!!!!
A really pretty flower that I found smooched in another garden.

Oh yeah, you want to know how Jason and the garden are related. Well, first of all Jason is doing GREAT from his surgery. He is back to about 80% and the doctor gave him the all clear! We are so thankful for all of your prayers and support these last few weeks.
Well, while he's been on bed rest, he's been watching A LOT of the Food Network! Good/Bad. He has a new idea....Canning and preserving food! YIKES!!! So he bought a book. He's going to start off small this year and give it a whirl! I'll let you know how that goes. If we start giving out our preserves for gifts you'll know he was successful!
Have a great week!
1 comment:
That tall purple flower is an allium, part of the onion family. If you leave room around it, it should spread. You could eat the bulb too, like an onion or garlic ingredient.
Wonderful gardens. I think you have already found just how addicting it can be to plant and grow things.
I think there is horseradish out there too. Walter should be able to find it.
bt
Post a Comment