
Katie has just turned 8. I think this might be a tough year in our house.
Year 3 and year 4 were tough, but mostly because we were all adjusting to having Ben. She was an only child for 3 whole years and loved every second of it. We were use to having a very easy and independent little girl who was happy with her life.
Years 5, 6 and 7 were no big deal. She listened, understood right and wrong and I could still count and by the time 1 left my lips she was changing her behavior. I could give her the "Mom Look" from across the room. I could hold up 1 finger from across the room and she knew I was watching and starting to count. I wasn't a drill Sargent. I wasn't mean. I was very consistent in my discipline and she was well, really easy.
Now she is 8. I know, we saw it coming. Let's be honest, I had my moments when she was 7 that I was exasperated. Felt like a failure. BUT I would always say, Oh it's just a phase...
I'd talk with my girl friends who had daughters her age and we'd all share our stories and we'd all end with "It's just a phase. It will pass." And we made each other feel better knowing that we weren't the only one with a daughter who was starting to have an attitude.
Well, she's 8. She's been 8 for two whole months tomorrow. I have to say, these were two of the longest months of my parenting life. Really. Breastfeeding. No problem. Toilet training, a breeze. Teaching Ben he couldn't jump off of all things, ha a cake walk.
Her attitude is not adjusting. I can't tell you how many times I've told her she needs to adjust it!!! I've sent her to her room more in the last two months than in her entire life! I've taken away t.v. and dessert more in the last two months than...
Are you getting what I'm saying.
Don't get me wrong, she is still my little Peanut. But come on!!
The drama is at an all time high. The eye rolling has started. The "UGH" and whining something as she leaves the room is driving me and Jason batty! And all she does is tell on her brother. According to her all he does is ruin her life and get her in trouble!
Now, sit down for this, MY MOTHER has even said she's seen a change in her. She reported last week that Katie attempted to roll her eyes at her!!!!
I know I'm going to make it. I know this too will pass. I know that Jason and I have done a really great job with our parenting.
I really just needed to vent!
3 comments:
Thanks for your honesty and helping me appreciate my kids' testy phases even more now! ha!
It probably won't make you feel better, but my soon to be 8 year old boy has started eye rolling too. It's everywhere! AGHHH!
Sandy
You are so funny! Hang in there!
Post a Comment