Sunday, April 26, 2009

I Could Scream!!!!

Yesterday was a beautiful day. Katie decided to paint outside while we were working in the gardens/yard. Ben was around doing lots of different things. He was here, there and everywhere.

The phone rang. Ben came out to tell me it was for me. It was Kerri.

I go in the house and take the call. While I'm talking I'm looking into the living room through the kitchen and Ben says, "It was an accident."

I kinda blanked out. I listened to Kerri but didn't chat, because I was zoning out from the comment. As I am listening to Kerri I walk to the living room.

My face turns sour, my heart starts beating really fast and I feel myself getting ready to explode. I say goodbye to Kerri without mentioning what I am looking at. I go back in the kitchen to grab a sponge and paper towels.

Ben says, "Are you mad?"
I say, "Ben I am so mad at you I can't even yell at you."

I turn around and Ben has green paint on his nose, on his shirt and dripping down his leg.

I walk to the living room and stare at my lovely carpet that now has green paint on it.

Ben says, "It was an accident. Are you mad?"
I say, "Yes Ben I am. Why on earth would you think you could get your own paint and do it in the living room?"
Ben says, "I did but it spilled."
I say, "Ben go get me more wet paper towels."

This was the day that Ben's life was spared. I could have gone ballistic. I could have really yelled at him. I could have taken away every toy and every privilege until he was 18.

For those of you who have been around since we moved to this house, you know how much I love my living room carpet.


Well, now it has some green accent to it. It was acrylic paint.

Mom, Dad, please don't say anything.

It was one of those times, that I said to myself as I'm trying to soak up the green paint, "Lynn why did you leave the acrylic paint in the children's paint box?"

That is why I think my inner self control stepped in and God layed his hand on me to stay in control and not yell at Ben.

This is yet another lesson for us as parents. For us younger parents, who are learning from their mistakes...
If you let your kids use acrylic paint for wood craft projects, DON'T put it back in THEIR paint box.
Enough said.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

OOOH, Lynn! Great self control! So Sorry about the carpet.

Sandy

Mary said...

I feel your pain. I've been there... so mad you stay quiet. It freaks the kids out more I think! LOL! (Oh gee I shouldn't admit that it's funny now.)

Kathy said...

OH MY WORD. I would have screamed, you know I would have ... I would have screamed and yelled and freaked out until my kids were afraid of the monster their Mom had turned in to ... so in other words - good for you for using self control! I have a lot to learn from you!

PS. could you try a carpet steamer???

Anonymous said...

Oh Lynn - what self control. God really must have been there in the living room with you. Poor Ben. He must have been so upset to anger you so. I hope you find a solution to the green paint on the carpet.