Monday, September 20, 2010

Oops!


Ben had a big oops at dinner tonight and it was funny!
Katie started by telling us about their safety drill today. They practice walking to a nearby location in case there was ever an emergency where they needed to leave the school building.
Ben piped in that it was called an "evacuation drill" and a couple of people got green cards.
Dodododododooooooooo.....
I look at him and he has that face...that "oh no" she caught me face.
Mommy, "Who got a green card?"
Ben, "Oh like a few people"
Mommy, "Did you?"
silence....
Ben shakes his head.
Mommy, "Why?"
Daddy, "What's a green card?"
Katie, "Oh that is when you do something your not suppose to be doing."

So the story goes that he was talking. And walking on the curb. He had gotten a warning before the green card.

Oh, Ben. Well, at least he turned it around and didn't go on to get the yellow card and the reflection chair! The card system started last week. This is the first we heard about it.
I guess that's a good thing.

I have to say, Ben has been doing awesome at school. Lots of friends are noticing a change in him. He is working hard on listening the first time! He seems to really like 1st grade and it shows, because he is cooperating in the morning and getting himself ready without me asking him 20 times to get dressed!

Katie LOVES 4th grade. I know, no surprise there! She has a great class and teacher. Katie has all the rules down and luckily has another organized teacher! She has talked about it being a "Responsive Classroom" several times and really enjoys all the activities that go along with this! She is getting excited to start band and on Thursday she comes home with her TRUMPET! Yes, I said trumpet. My little princess is playing the trumpet, not the flute! This should be very interesting. Who wants to take bets that Ben sneaks in and gives a few blows on it the first night?

I am surviving at work. I say surviving because it has not been the smoothest of starts for us in the special education world this year. Any and all prayers are welcome! I need them on a daily, sometimes hourly basis : )
I have a new schedule this year (still .8) and I'm really going to enjoy it once we get into the swing of things. I will be home for the bus on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons. Last week on our way to swim lessons Katie out of the blue told me she loves my new schedule. I smiled and said great and then she went on to tell me that she loves that I'm home to get them off the bus, take them to swimming and then still have time to do things before dinner. She also loves that I'm in a good mood now. Last year, I got home later and would come home in a grumpy mood some days according to her.
Uh-oh. I could have gone into a lengthy speech on the what it's like to be a working mother, and I'm trying my best, but I didn't. I agreed with her and said, yes I love being home more afternoons early too!
See I can drop things. And yes, there were several stretches last year that I did come home grumpy.

Jason is cruising along. He handles the afternoon load on Monday and Wednesday and of course as always does fabulously! He seems to like my new schedule too, although he didn't comment on my mood improving! His new favorite activity is watching our NEW solar power meter thingy! Each day I arrive home and get a report on how much power we've used, saved and what ever else that thing tells us. Very exciting!

Ella has adjusted to all of us going back to school/work and seems no worse for the wear! She goes right into her crate in the morning, gets new chewy things and is so happy to see us as we all arrive home at different times!

Hope everyone gets out and enjoys the beautiful fall weather we are having! We sure are!

1 comment:

GrayisGreen said...

is the green card program just for ben? reminds me of his dad working hard in school to earn a bicycle.