It worked out really well, since Jason was coming back from Providence from his work summer meeting and the kids had their last night at VBS.
We met Jason and then went over. They renovated it not to long ago and it was so nice. Outside they have several old subs for you to look at and Ben had lots of fun peeking in windows or trying to figure out where the doors were!
Inside very nice. I admit, I had no idea it was so nice. They had several hands on exhibits for the kids and Katie and I got a kick out of looking through the periscopes that looked out to the parking lot! The kids had fun pushing buttons and pretending to steer the subs! They also had torpedoes, replica of the "Turtle", the first submarine from Connecticut.
As we were exploring inside there was an announcement letting everyone know that the USS Virginia Sub was on its way down the river. Of course we ran out to see it! Just as we got outside a train horn sounded, lights went off and we hurried over the train tracks. Ben couldn't believe it a Sub and a train all in one day! It was very cool to see the sub pass by with all the sailors on top of it and watching everyone wave. We stood next to a mother & daughter waving to their husband/dad. I got goosebumps.
Once that passed we headed onto the USS Nautilus. I was excited to finally get inside a sub and see how Jason lived for 5 years! The tour was interesting and it was to crowded so we didn't feel super rushed. I of course asked Jason a million questions about the sub and if this one was like the one he was on. There were a few differences but we got the general idea. I couldn't believe how small the inside of the sub was. I can't imagine how guys 6 ft or taller go in those things or sleep in those tight quarters! The best part for me was to see the galley! I could just picture Jason cooking away on his sub!
I didn't have the camera, I know big mistake. I did take pictures on my phone and once I figure out how to get them off I'll post some.
I highly recommend this for a fun, family day out. We stayed for about 2 hours. The best part...it was FREE!!! They have a donation box.
1 comment:
I live in CT, we should SO DO THAT!!! thanks
Post a Comment